Monday, May 16, 2005

The Good People of Trunky

The good people of Trunky knew it would rain every morning. They knew this because it did. Every morning without fail it would rain and rain and rain. Sometimes around mid-morning it would stop, sometimes it rained all day, sometimes the sun came out in the afternoon, sometimes it was windy. Really, it was different every day except for one thing – it rained every morning.

So the people of Trunky always wore rain-coats in the morning. Or at least the ones that had to be up did. Every morning they wore their rain-coats so they didn’t get wet. Sometimes they had to keep them on all day, sometimes they didn’t, but they definitely had to have them on in the morning.

Sometimes the little children of Trunky would gather round and ask one of the adults of Trunky why it rained every morning. The adult would always say, “I don’t know.” This was the truth, no-one did know why it rained every morning. The children would never be happy with this answer and always questioned it, until one day some children asked them and they were forced to say, “I don’t know.”

The people of Trunky lived their whole lives like this. Many were born and grew up and grew old and died with it raining every morning. The history books all showed pictures of it raining in the morning. Historical figures were often quoted saying things like “I wish it wouldn’t rain every dratted morning.” But it did.

Then one day it didn’t. At first no-one noticed. They were too used to thinking it rained every morning, but then one person who had lost his jacket at the fair realised he wasn’t getting wet. “It’s not raining,” he said, and people laughed. “It’s not raining,” he repeated, and people laughed. “It’s not raining,” he said again and people looked up. It wasn’t raining.

The people of Trunky realised, that day, that just because they were expecting something didn’t mean it would happen.

19 comments:

  1. Funny. Reminds me of something I can't quite pin down. Like a Grimm fairy tale.

    But, I think, your stuff recently is showing a Douglas Adams-ness that's really cool. Trunky.

    So, your exam went well, then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i consciously did the fairy tale job. Actually when i started writing it i just wanted to see if i could make it very simple, like something a child could read easily.

    There's two things going on here. One is that a question I had studied in detail, that has come up every year, didn't come up this fucking year - hence the constant rain that stops without explanation, but I was able to answer the other one anyway, for the most part - hence the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there goes my fairy tale idea... Fuck you, Daly.

    Today, in my exam only one thing actually studied came up. I had to crapfest my way through four questions. So, when all is said and done, I didn't do too badly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did the name "Trunky" come from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hows your Hedonism Bob thing coming. That should be spectaculaaarrrrrrrrrrrr. (roll the r)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Ian, I just liked the sound of it. It's got nothing to do with the exam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah it sounds good. When I get an elephant Im going to call it Trunky, or maybe fuckface.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just teabagged a cup of hot water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone know how to post .mp3's?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ask Jessie. I think that us what she has been doing on suicide zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, it reads like a story from Bosco or Hi-5, that shitty Australian kids show with the mega hot babes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, I havn't written anything about hedonism bob, Daly, but if I do it will be spur of the moment. So don't expect anything.
    First, I have a story cooking about Steven Spielberg, I'll probably do at some point.
    And another story about a cool dude in the wrong place. Can't be more specific.
    And a post about rhyming.

    I will probably do none of these. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG if you got one about a cool dude in the wrong place then you better post it cos i've got one too. Unless your one is about a limp penis in someones ass. Cos mine isn't.

    Is that a treble entendre? Or two doubles? Quadruple?

    Hi-5 fucking rocks. That asian one is a total hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why can't you leave my ideas alone, for fuck sake?
    Once these exams are over I'm going to double time my posting so all the ideas will be used up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mabe you should spend more time studying and less time watchin kids programs? Then the exams would be easy!
    Also the asian one is hot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaah Kelly I rarely watch Hi-5. I always end up too knackered after it.

    ReplyDelete