Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Midnight Affairs With the Kinga

“The margin of error is…”
“What if I type straight off the page?”
“What if you do?”
“The words will just disappear. My literature will be still born.”
“Look, I’ll put my hand into the machine, the side of it. Type on my hand if the contraption doesn’t reset.”
“Are you sure? That sounds…”
“Yeah, it does. But if you become uncontrollable… what else can I do?”
“Don’t just watch.”
“That’s what I mean… hmmm.”
“When will you be ready?”
“Soon I think. What’s your plan?”
“Three hundred and fifty words. In a good sequence.”
“Which words?”
“I don’t know.”
“I mean… when do you decide?”
“I don’t think I do.”
“Decide?
“I don’t know where the words come from.”
“But… What?”
“I think I’m just a filter for something else.”
“That sounds absurd.”
“I think it’s the machine.”
“The machine what?”
“The machine tells me what to type.”
“That’s… no…”
“Impossible?”
“Exactly. You are in control of the machine. Your fingers press the buttons. That’s the interface.”
“That’s only how it seems.”
“Wrong. No. That’s how it is. There is no other communication.”
“I don’t think so.”
“It’s your talent. You have ownership.”
“You don’t understand.”
“What? It sends you brain bulletins. *Manipulate me*. Like that?”
“No, don’t be… don’t be like that.”
“Explain it.”
“The design of the input and output devices, the shape of the processor’s shell. It doesn’t need to spherical, you know. There’s no mechanical function or practical reason for being a sphere. And the chrome finish… It’s all to influence me.”
“To what end?”
“I don’t know”
“To communicate a message?”
“Possibly.”
“…”
“I’m ready to begin.”
“I’m not. Not anymore.”

5 comments:

  1. Rob
    How bout an online collaboration?

    I'll start with the first part.We can build a post/narrative through comments and then gather them at the end into a post.

    Any one can join in!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life is cheap, it's death that cost money.He would be the first to admit it.
    Didn't stop him killing people and making women pregnant.
    He took comfort in that, the great wheel of life."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried that a few times before and it didn't work.
    Well, it worked twice with Ian but, when it worked, we were writing a conversation in character over e-mail. Both of us were on at the same time as well.

    When it didn't work, it was like this. It was a story. It didn't gel and stopped mid-way. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, just I think it would need some preparation.

    ReplyDelete